On Wednesday, 11th April 2018, a Cabinet Meeting chaired by His Excellency the President of the Republic, Paul Kagame, convened in Village URUGWIRO.
The Cabinet Meeting welcomed Dr. Claudine Uwera, the Minister of State in the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning in charge of Planning as well as other Members of Cabinet who have shifted to new portfolios namely, Dr. Uzziel Ndagijimana, the Minister of Finance and Economic Planning and Amb. Claver Gatete, the Minister of Infrastructure. The Cabinet Meeting wished them every success in their duties.
1. The Cabinet Meeting approved Minutes of previous Cabinet Meeting held on 16.03.2018 after minor adjustments.
2. The Cabinet Meeting was briefed on the Aftermath of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) signature and the way forward.
3. The Cabinet Meeting approved the following Draft Laws:
1) Draft Law approving the ratification of the Loan Agreement signed in Kigali, Rwanda on 22/03/2018, between the Government of the Republic of Rwanda and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), relating to the loan of seven billion six hundred seventy million Japanese Yen (¥7,670,000,000) for Ngoma-Ramiro Road Upgrading Project;
2) Draft Law approving the ratification of the Loan Agreement signed in Kigali, Rwanda on 22/03/2018, between the Government of the Republic of Rwanda and the Africnan Developement Bank, relating to the loan of Thirty Million American Dollars (USD 30,000,000) for Rwanda Innovation Fund;
3) Draft Law on the crime of genocide ideology and related offences;
4) Draft Law relating to the civil, commercial, labour and administrative procedure;
5) Draft Law approving the ratification of the Protocol to the Treaty establishing the African Economic Community relating to free movement of persons, right of residence and right of establishment signed in Kigali, Rwanda, on 21/03/2018;
6) Draft law relating to insolvency and bankruptcy;
7) Draft Law approving ratification of the agreement establishing the African Continental Free Trade Area together with the Protocol on trade in goods, Protocol on trade in services, and Protocol on rules and procedures for settlement of disputes signed in Kigali, Rwanda, on 21/03/2018;
8) Draft Law approving the ratification of the Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Rwanda and the Government of the Republic of Djibouti concerning the reciprocal promotion and protection of investments, signed in Djibouti, on 18/04/ 2017;
9) Draft Law approving the ratification of the Trade Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Rwanda and the Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, signed in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on 13/08/ 2013;
10) Draft Law approving the ratification of the Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Rwanda and the Government of the Kingdom of Morocco on the reciprocal promotion and protection of investments, signed in Kigali, Rwanda on 19/10/2016.
4. The Cabinet Meeting approved the following Orders:
1) Presidential Order’s Order establishing salaries and fringe benefits for Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB) staff;
2) Presidential Order promoting 236 Commissioners, Senior Officers and Junior Officers of Rwanda Correctional Service;
3) Prime Minister’s Order determining organisation and functioning of Disaster Management Organs;
4) Prime Minister’s Order determining organizational structure of Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB);
5) Prime Minister’s Order granting retirement to Mr. Ngerero Nkuriza Gervais who was Director of Seed Unit in Rwanda Agriculture Board (RAB);
6) Prime Minister’s Order granting leave of absence for a non-specified period to Mr. Twahirwa Alexander, who was Director of Labour Administration Unit in the Ministry of Public Service and Labour;
7) Prime Minister’s Order granting resigantion to Mr. Mpayana Fio Logan, who was the Director of Research and Quality Control Unit in Rwanda Transport Developement Authority (RTDA);
8) Prime Minister‘s Order determining modalities of transfer of 463 personnel and assets related to criminal investigation from Rwanda National Police (RNP) to Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB);
9) Ministerial Order relating to assisting actors and volunteers in case of disaster response;
10) Ministerial Order on secondment of 320 Non-commissioned Officers and Police Constables of Rwanda National Police (RNP);
11) Ministerial Order promoting 10159 Non-commissioned Officers and Prison Warders of Rwanda Correctional Service;
12) Prime Minister’s Order appointing Mr. Mukwaya Rusatira Jean a Prosecutor at Intermediate Level;
13) Ministerial Order determining the list of works, activities and projects subject to an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA);
14) Ministerial Order amending the Ministerial Order n° 04/CAB.M/015 of 18/05/2015 determining urban planning and building regulations;
15) Ministerial Order amending the Ministerial Order nº 06/CAB.M /015 of 08/06/2015 determining the instructions of categorisation of buildings,conditions and procedure for application of building permits.
5. The Cabinet Meeting appointed Mr. BISENGIMANA Joseph as Director of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit in Rwanda Governance Board (RGB).
6. The Cabinet Meeting removed from their duties the following Officials in Rwanda Education Board (REB):
1) Dr. Joyce MUSABE: Head of Curriculum, Teaching and Learning Resources Department;
2) Dr. TUSIIME RWIBASIRA Michael: Head of Examinations, Selection and Assessment Department;
3) Mr. MUJIJI Peter: Head of Corporate Division;
4) Mr. KAREGESA Francis: Director of Finance;
5) Mr. Rutaha BAGAYA: Head of Procurement Unit.
7. In AoB
a) The Minister of Information Technology and Communications informed the Cabinet Meeting that the 4th edition of “Transform Africa 2018 Summit” will be held in Kigali Convention Centre from 7th to 10th May 2018. It will be organized by the Government of Rwanda in partnership with the Smart Africa Secretariat, under the theme, “Accelerating Africa’s Single Digital Market”.
b) The Minister of Sports and Culture informed the Cabinet Meeting that on 27th and 28th April 2018 Rwanda will host in Kigali at Mille Collines Hotel, the 2018 General Assembly of the Confederation of African Tennis.
c) The Minister of Public Service and Labor informed the Cabinet Meeting that the International Labor Day shall be celebrated on 1st May 2018 under the theme “Promote productive employment for rapid development. Celebrations of the International Labor Day will be held at national level in Rubavu District and at institutional level. Various activities shall be done in the Employment Week planned from 23rd April to the 1st May 2018.
d) The Minister of State in the Ministry of Education in charge of Primary and Secondary Education informed the Cabinet Meeting that the 2018 National examinations in secondary schools for Ordinary Level (Tronc Commun) and for Advanced Level shall be done on the same subjects as it was in the last school year. The additional subjects introduced in 2016 with the implementation of the new Competence-Based Curriculum which are ICT, Literature in English, French and Kiswahili in Ordinary Level and Sub-mathematics as well as French in Advanced level shall not be part of 2018 national examination due to various challenges faced in the implementation of the Competence Based Curriculum.
This Statement was signed
Marie Solange KAYISIRE
The Minister in Charge of Cabinet